SPRINGTIME IN UPPER TEESDALE, COUNTY DURHAM, DL12 0SH

SPRINGTIME IN UPPER TEESDALE, COUNTY DURHAM, DL12 0SH
The Painting by Judith Owston in a panoramic view of the beautiful Upper Teesdale as the river Tees flows gently through the dale.

Friday 16 October 2009

The Shopkeeper's thoughts

        When not working in the shop I paint pictures and write, I often have a go at writing poems, I have published a book of illustrated poems. Each poem I have written an introduction with thoughts on what inspired me. The book is called 'Poems by a Country Lass' I appeared on 'Britain's got Talent' the poem I performed was

The Battle of the Bulge

Fight the flab a battle
Many times a war
Weighing scales abandoned
In disgust upon the floor.
I have tried so hard to win
And the battle it's been long
A body once so slender
Just a memory now long gone



As the years passed by
The inches they have lengtherned
From a waist once sleek and trim 
A waist now I never mention
Stuffing cream cakes, wine,
Chips and chocolate bars
Once a time I walked
Now I rush around in cars



So a diet I start with relish
With this I soon fall down
To slim to fit a skinny dress
Must it fit I start to frown
A night out surely is what I need
All dressed up and looking good
I'll wine and dine and live it up
With friends around in festive mood


Perhaps a corset is the answer
'Marks and Sparks' will make me trim
I look at one a flattened tum'
Another to keep the bottom in
I try one on it is a struggle
The expanding lycre will not stretch
I try it round my rounded bottom
It will not budge I must confess

The assistant measures me, just to prove
"That Madams wrong the size is right"
I struggle, twist, it will not move
"This corset, I scream is far to tight"
The mangeress comes the scene
Stares a me inside this thing
Then a beguiling smile comes awe he face
"Why Madam you look nice and slim"






"Yes I do look rather slender
Yes a quick way to shed so much fat"
"Would Madam rather keep it on
Than have the corset nicely packed"
My breath is shallow I nod my head
I find my voice  it comes in gasps
My clothes now on the glass I glance
"Why yes I don't look quite so fat"

   My head held high I leave the store
Walking with a swaggering gait
I'm sure I hear a whistle or two
"Well they say it's never to late"
"Oh, how far" the car at last
Such relief, I must sit down
My body won't yield, so stiff in limb
My bottom I find I can't bend round

I travelled home hunched in the car
Crunched and feeling awful sore
A journey I remember well
A journey I'll not wish for more
Fed up and stiff, I only frown
As I struggle with my corset down
It's not much fun this looking slim
And gladly fling it in the bin

Magazines glare back at me
With girls so lovely and so trim
The battle's lost, but I am happy
The cost was much to be so slim
So now I let it all hang out
The bits no longer in their place,
Middle age spread is here to stay
I don't care 'cause I feel great.

by Judith Owston














No comments: